Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Great Way To Get A Ton of Shows For Little Money by Tim Castleman

The following is an excellent article by a great school stage hypnotist, Tim Castleman. Thank you Tim!

A Great Way To Get A Ton of Shows for Little Money

Wayne was kind enough to give me a few lines in his blog to talk about this super simple strategy that will give you an opportunity to get a ton of stage hypnosis bookings for next to nothing!

This idea came to me by mistake but has turned out to be one of the best low cost ways of getting my name into the school market for very little effort and time. About two years ago a friend of a friend (let me be one of the many people who tell you how important networking is) knew I was launching my stage hypnosis business. She was a school teacher and wanted me to come in a be a guest speaker to her psychology class and talk about hypnosis.

I went the school and basically gave them my pre talk in a nutshell, answered some questions and eliminated some myths about hypnosis and then did a mini show for the class (about 25 kids). The result – I got 25 letter of recommendation that I used as testimonials on my website, honest feedback from my target audience about things they liked and didn’t like in the show and name recognition by teachers and students at the school, making it easier for them to hire me to perform again at the school for fundraisers, post prom and graduation events.

Here is a step-by-step way for you to put this into action.

Get a mailing list of all the high schools in your target range (for me it’s 500 miles from my home). Send a letter addressed to the Psychology Teacher at XYZ High School. In the letter introduce yourself, let them know you want to come to the school and do a free mini show for their class and give them contact info. Most will jump at the chance.

Put your show together and go perform the show for the students just like it was a paying gig. Normally I do props but no music for these shows. After the show have the students fill out a critique form on what they like and didn’t like about the show. Tell them to be honest but support their ideas with examples. I tell the students it’s ok to tell me I suck but tell me why I suck so I can change.

Take that letter of recommendation from the teacher, find a “sound bite” quote and then use it in your next mailing. By doing this it shows that a teacher is giving you the stamp of approval for performing in school and you get instant creditability, which is better than you telling them how good you are.

Watch the bookings pour in. If you don’t get any bookings from this strategy look at it like this – you get a free place to perform and perfect your show, honest feedback on your show from your target audience, and enough letters of recommendation to fill up your website and mail outs to schools.

Take this idea and put it to work for you. With a little time and some effort you could find yourself with a landslide of bookings for the cost of a meal at a restaurant.


Tim Castleman
www.theschoolhypnotist.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home