Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What is Core Stress?

“I want to’s and I have to’s,” “Core Stress at its Best.”


There is a basic type of stress all of us experience on a daily basis.

This stress is called “core stress,” by some psychologists. What core stress refers to is the difference between how you feel when confronted by what you want to do and what you have to do.

For example, the statement “I cannot go with you today to the soccer game, because my Father says I have to cut the grass in the yard.” Obviously this person has stress surrounding the job of cutting grass when confronted with another option, “going to the soccer game.”

When you personally experience the difference between what you want to do and what we want to do, our bodies take over in the flight or fight mode. We will either want to run away from the whole experience or we will want to stand and fight.

Over a thousand identifiable chemicals are dumped into your bloodstream including epinephrine, (adrenalin) so your entire body is subject to the effects of a racing heart and chemical production you do not really want to experience.

On the flip side of the equation, what happens when you are confronted with an “I want to situation?”

Example: “I want to go to the baseball game.” “My Father said, if I get an offer to go to the big baseball game, go ahead and go to the game.” “I will be able to cut the grass tomorrow.”

When you are in the “I want to” state of mind and body, your body functions normally and is in equilibrium. This is the state of mind and body you want to be in unless your life is severely threatened and you need your flight or fight instinct.


What Can I do About Keeping the Chemicals out of My Bloodstream?

In order to keep your mind and body in harmony and in physiological equilibrium you need to change your “I have to’s” into “I want to’s.”

Once you do that, you will eliminate “core stress” from that social interaction.

For an example: “I am not going with you to the soccer game, because I want to cut the grass today for my Father.” “It is very important for him to have the yard looking nice.” “There will be plenty of soccer games for us to attend in the future.” “I look forward to that time.”

How does this work in my business?

Let us say you are a sales manager rolling out a new compensation program for your sales team. In-stead of telling your sales team, “You are going to have to sell 10,000 more widgets a month,” thus projecting the “have to” flight or fight response,” say it this way, “You are going “to want” to sell 10,000 more widgets a month in order go receive the top sales bonus.”

Each sales team member needs to rationalize and then internalize, that “I want to sell 10,000 more widgets this month,” rather than, “I have to sell 10,000 more widgets this month.”

Exercise: Exorcising Have To’s

As an exercise note how many times today, you run across a person saying, “I have to” rather than, “I want to.” Jot down the situation surrounding the event and then ask yourself, how can I turn these “I have to’s into I want to’s.”

Then notice in your own conversation, the circumstances surrounding your “I have to’s” that come out of your mouth each day. Turn those into “I want to’s, “by finding positive personal benefits in each instance.

You will find yourself reducing your flight or fight response and the negative physiological effects of the number of those responses.

Summary:

Flight or fight responses emerge from “core stress.” Core stress happens when we are doing or even thinking about things we “have to” do, rather than doing things we “want to” do. By writing down occurrences of “I have to’s” and using positive statements in changing those to “I want to’s,” you can create the physiological equilibrium and harmony you need to enjoy your job and your life.


Do you want to achieve all of your goals all of the time and annihilate stress in the process? Click here.
Do you want to learn how to hypnotize other people? Click here now.

Do you want to be a professional stage hypnotist. Click here for my exclusive life-time mentoring program.

"My mission in life is to help you achieve your mission in life."--Wayne F. Perkins

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home