Monday, January 16, 2006

10 Steps to Goal Achievement for 2006: Step #7

Step 7: Become a Mentor in the field of your primary goal

Becoming a mentor in the field of your primary goal is one of the most powerful goal achievement techniques ever conceived.

If you ever want to be an expert, teach your expertise to others. Become a mentor and at the same time you will become an expert in the field.

Many years ago, I quit teaching business subjects at Elgin High School in order to become a professional performing musician. I did not have the talent or expertise. I did possess, however a burning desire to succeed in the music business.

A friend of mine name Joe Ornelas, owned a music store in called the “Player’s Bench,” in Crystal Lake Illinois. This is a place were I purchased all of my music and equipment.

Joe said he needed a Guitar Teacher to work with beginning students. I told Joe, I was learning myself and did not feel qualified to teach others.

Joe encouraged me by saying, “but Wayne, all you have to do is stay a week ahead of your students.” “They are beginners too, and they can benefit by your desire to succeed as a musician.” “Your enthusiasm is contagious.”

I thought about something one of my professors, Dr. E. Edward Harris said in my senior year at Northern Illinois University. He said, “If you want be become good at skill, teach it to someone else.”

Dr. Dale McDowell, my ex Boy Scout Leader, elementary school principal and college professor when I was at Northern Illinois University, told me, “Learn as much as you can about the subject that ignites your passion.” “Then go ahead and teach it to others.”

So, I looked my friend Joe Ornelas, the owner of the Players’ Bench in Crystal Lake, Illinois in the eye and said, “I will teach your beginning students.”

I taught beginning students and my expertise on the guitar grew in an exponential way.

I gained more confidence for my performing because I was forced to learn and remember the basics and to be able to teach beginning students these basics.

As you know already, I teach professional hypnotists. I train them to be more effective in their practices and I become better in my practice as a result.

Become a mentor for your primary goal. You will be pleasantly surprised as you head on a course at lightening speed toward your goal.

Wayne F. Perkins


“My mission in life is to help you achieve your mission in life.”

Do you want to learn how to hypnotize? Click here to learn hypnosis by “ear.”
Do you want to become a professional hypnotist? Click here for more information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home